Hello,

okay, here's the result:

with the new version of Xalan (2.2.D14), the .fo to .pdf part of the conversion is
really a good deal faster. ("[DEBUG]: Avg render time: 1050ms/page"). What's still
slow is the preceding docbook-to-.fo conversion. And I've also found out that it makes
no big difference whether I do this with FOP or with xt. It takes about 25 seconds for
the same (tiny) test document either way. So maybe it's really the complexity of the
docbook xsl stylesheets that's the main culprit?

Lukas