Joerg Flotho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> We have different versions of interpretations regarding unicode:
[...]
> (hexadecimal or decimal seems to make no difference).
That's by design :-)

> After passing XALAN some signs  were interpreted
> wrong.(viewing in IE 5.0 as filename.fo)
[...]
I suppose some characters are displayed as unexpected glyphs
on the screen.
This may have rather different causes:
- There is no appropriate font on the system for supplying
 information how those characters are rendered.
- The software has difficulties with the encoding of the
 characters in a file and therefore interprets some characters
 as being other characters than originally meant.
- There are typos in the character references in the XML source
 file.
Your description doesn't make clear which of these apply, maybe
even all toghether.
1. Make sure the character references (&#160; and the like) in
 the source file are correct.
2. Check whether the fonts on all relevant machines can map the
 characters you use. In case of PDF, this may not only involve
 the machine where the PDF is generated but also the machines
 on which the PDF is viewed. FOP must know abou the fonts too.
 This should be relevant only if you use somewhat esoteric
 characters (for middle-european cultures) like special
 mathematical symbols.
3. Be sure that the encoding in the XML declaration at the
 beginning of your XML source file matches the actual encoding.
 This shouldn't be relevant if all characters which aren't
 US-ASCII are typed as character references (like &#254;). If
 in doubt, check whether there are any non-ASCII characters
 in the file, and replace all you find by their corresponding
 character reference. German umlauts, non-breaking spaces and
 typographic quotes are not ASCII.

If this doesn't help, produce a minimal XML file with a character
reference whose rendering does not meet your expectations, like
 <?xml version="1.0"?>
 <char>&#1234;</char>
and describe how you expect the character to be rendered and what
you get, and perhaps what OS you run and what font you expect to
be used for rendering the character (which should of course be
installed).

HTH
J.Pietschmann