Hi Victor

> I am new to this list, to FOP, and to open-source development. I have been
> trying to get up to speed so that I can help on a couple of my personal
> "itches". I was going to hold off on offering help / asking questions until
> I was farther along in that process, but your question addresses one of
> those itches. I noticed in the documentation (and by experience) that only
> the base-14 fonts are supported without building metric file information
> externally. Also, my perception is that OpenType fonts are not supported. I
> would like to look at the feasibility of making arbitrary system fonts
> available, not only for FOP, but for embedding (where necessary) in the
> output. I don't see this on the list of enhancements. Perhaps your question
> was oriented toward getting such a project on the list, or addressing some
> design issues that affect this.
>
> My questions (for now) are: 1) This project seems feasible, but am I missing
> something?

This is perfectly feasible. Making fonts available directly without
generating XML files is an important feature for FOP to be easier to
handle and to embed into an application. Supporting OpenType might be a
challenge (I don't know, haven't read the specs, yet) but it's cool if
you want to step in for that. Helpful additions to FOP are always
welcome.

> 2) Has anyone already started this? Perhaps you are thinking of
> starting into it? If so, I'll be happy to assist (if that is possible), or
> to work on something else -- there are plenty of other FOP projects that
> interest me.

Making fonts available without XML metric files is something that is on
my private task list so I would gladly help you with this one.

I think the TrueType support already contains some of the stuff
necessary to support OpenType fonts. But I'm pretty sure it needs some
more work and nobody is currently working on OpenType support at the
moment. This isn't a feature that has been asked for, I think.

> In short, I wanted to register an interest in this thread and offer to help.
> I apologize that I am not yet conversant in the details.

We can use all the help we can get. I suggest that we start a new thread
for the discussion on supporting multiple font sources. I've got a
couple of ideas on how we can improve font support in FOP. But I'd like
to ask your for patience until my holidays start (27.8.2002) since I've
got tons of work until then. In the meantime read into the OpenType
specs and familiarize yourself with the TrueType support classes in FOP
to get a feeling what needs to be done.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki