Karen Lease wrote at 20 Aug 2002 23:07:46 +0200:
 > That would be good. I haven't looked at it for a month or so, but I had
 > (as usual) some questions about various statements in the XSL-FO spec
 > concerning the interpretation of the various properties. Perhaps we
 > could go over those issues at some point.
 > Arved Sandstrom wrote:

You may be interested in Steve Zilles's statement in the abstract [1]
for his talk at next month's Unicode Conference where he says:

   The extended CSS/XSL model is based on the Open Type font
   model. This model posits a set of alignment baselines for different
   scripts, e.g., alphabetic, ideographic and hanging scripts. This
   allows characters in a given script, but presented in different
   font sizes, to be aligned on the baseline natural to that script.

I just looked in the XSL Recommendation, and Section 7.8.1 notes:

   XSL uses an abstract model of a font. This model is described in
   this section and is based on current font technology as exemplified
   by the OpenType specification [OpenType].

Maybe you also need to look at the OpenType spec.

Regards,

Tony Graham
XML Technology Center - Dublin                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708

[1] http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc22/a365.html