On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 17:08, Victor Mote wrote:
> I am not sure I understand your question. My current plan is to do the
> refactoring on the maintenance branch, then bring it over to trunk when
> complete. Otherwise, I am going to have difficulty testing it. If you are
> asking whether the refactoring will be done on a branch from the maintenance
> branch, that has not been discussed, but I have no objection to it, and it
> might make things cleaner with the 0.20.5 release on the horizon.

It is just that I have done some things with the FontState and FontInfo
on trunk. You may want to take a look at that. The font-weight is a
number and it uses a string key to specify the font for serialization.
But there is a lot more to do.

> > I doubt the tests would check much beyond the basic fonts, I suppose it
> > depends what you are going to change.
>
> My intention is to try to consolidate all of the font classes that are
> floating around into a handful of more intuitive classes. For example, the
> first installment eliminates the layout.FontInfo class and moves its
> contents into static fields in new font.TypeFace and font.TypeFaceFamily
> classes. Future installments will move almost all of layout.FontState into
> font.FOPFont (or possibly font.Font), protect most of its innards, and
> provide methods for working with those innards. (FontState has a
> _letterSpacing field which, as far as I can tell, is outside of a Font
> concept, so FontState will need to exist until I can find a better home for
> that.) I also think most of the font-specific stuff that is in the render
> package can be consolidated and simplified (and moved), but I haven't
> grasped all of what is going on there yet. The ultimate purpose is to make
> it easier to 1) follow what is going on, 2) add support for other font
> sources, including OpenType and fonts registered at the OS level. In
> general, I am trying to address some of what you wrote in your July 18 post
> on this subject, as well as some of my own ideas.

That sounds like a good approach.
I particularly like the "make it easier to follow what is going on".

> Understood. Since I am going to be doing a fair amount of refactoring, does
> it make sense for me to stop & work on the testing first, or do we generally
> prefer to "field test"?

I think the "field test" is the best for now. It would probably be a
waste of effort sorting out the testing now.

If possible it might be better if some of these areas could have unit
testing rather than relying on the system testing.

> BTW, it is good to "hear your voice" again.

Thanks.

When these fonts things a sorted out it will be really good. So it is
good to see you working on it.

Keiron.