Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Currently, in the context of the PDF renderer, every FopImage is closed
as soon as it's written to the target file. The next time the same
image/url is used it has to be reloaded. This is not true for the other
renderers, where the images are really being cached. The calls to
FopImage.close() in PDFXObject are effectively disabling the caching
mechanism. But on the other side it enables the correct working of urls
that deliver dynamic content (only for PDFs), when the same URL can
deliver different content over multiple invocations.
If we are talking about one particular formatting invokation scope, I don't think anybody would rely on dynamic image generation trying to place different images (while with the same URI) on a different pages. Acually the spec says nothing about it, but I believe it's up to formatter when/in which order/how much times to load images as it follows general xsl "side-effect free" policy.
It's probably worth to check how other formatters cache images though.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team