Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Moving around directories on the server so we don't lose history on
files. See my proposal on directory structure reorganization, ex.
moveing src/org to src/java/org.

On 27.11.2002 16:19:26 Peter B. West wrote:

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

BTW: Anybody around with experience in CVS surgery???

Not really, but what do you want to do?
Jeremias,

Look at Sections 7.4 and 7.5 of the Per Cederqvist et al paper. From that, I would say that the easiest and safest thing is simply move the files. When you move them, make sure the descriptive next of the (now) new file contains a loud note of the file's original location. Mind you, I haven't experimented with the descriptive text of a new file in CVS, as opposed to RCS, so I can't say that it work the same way.

Make sure you tag the tree before and after, and make sure no-one else is trying to do commits while this is going on.

The above approach has no special dangers, and allows the complete tree of previous releases to be recovered. The history (if the descriptive text is working, and displays normally) will tel the enquirer where to look for the prior history of the file.

It's certainly inconvenient for someone who wants to track down the history, but it protects the primary requirement - the ability to fully recover previous releases.

Peter
--
Peter B. West [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"