Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Let's look at it the other way: Is there a downside to moving all the
> files on the client and checking in everything? What do you guys think
> would be the best way to accomplish such a thing?

The downside to moving the files on the client & then checking in is that
you have now disconnected the current files from their history.

I don't know how much access we have to the cvs server, but, if we have
enough, I think the preferred way to go is to 1) lock the repository down,
2) burn a copy of the repository onto a CD for backup & a permanent archive,
3) hack away at the repository until everything is as you wish, and 4)
unlock the repository.

However, the truth is that doing it the right "clean" way will be fine as
well. I don't think we have any pressing needs to be greatly attached to the
history. Peter has already documented how to leave an audit trail if you
move in the repository & a similar thing could be done using the other
method.

Another issue to consider is that if you move the files in the repository,
you need to worry about the dependencies in both branches at the same time.
If you move them in your sandbox & check them in, I am pretty sure that you
will need to either 1) only want them moved in one branch (probably not
desirable), or 2) move them twice, once for each branch. Especially on the
maintenance branch, you will want to be careful to get the new files tagged
with the maintenance branch tag.

Victor Mote