Victor,

I noticed we had to break up a function to satisfy
Checkstyle's max method length size of 150 (
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-cvs&m=105806596213734&w=2).
 That seems too constricted for our use--it's may
force parameter passing of local variables where none
would otherwise be needed.  I would double the limit
to 300--the function above did not warrant
rewriting--a better option may be to remove the limit
entirely.

Combined, the two case statement blocks tripped
Checkstyle's limit, causing Checkstyle to complain:
so you placed both blocks into separate functions.
But what if the second case statement was much
smaller?  Checkstyle wouldn't complain about the
method containing on the switch statement, so
*neither* of the two case statements would be placed
into their own function.  This seems too arbitrary:
something in addition to method size should play a
part in the decision to create new methods.

Thanks,
Glen