Peter B. West wrote:

> Glen Mazza wrote:
> > Victor,
> >
> > I noticed we had to break up a function to satisfy
> > Checkstyle's max method length size of 150 (
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-cvs&m=105806596213734&w=2).
> >  That seems too constricted for our use--it's may
> > force parameter passing of local variables where none
> > would otherwise be needed.  I would double the limit
> > to 300--the function above did not warrant
> > rewriting--a better option may be to remove the limit
> > entirely.
> >
> > Combined, the two case statement blocks tripped
> > Checkstyle's limit, causing Checkstyle to complain:
> > so you placed both blocks into separate functions.
> > But what if the second case statement was much
> > smaller?  Checkstyle wouldn't complain about the
> > method containing on the switch statement, so
> > *neither* of the two case statements would be placed
> > into their own function.  This seems too arbitrary:
> > something in addition to method size should play a
> > part in the decision to create new methods.
>
> Glen, Victor,
>
> I tend to agree with Glen on this one.  The limit seems too restrictive,
> and it is only a guideline - as are many of the other strictures of
> Checkstyle.  They flag things which may make the code problematical, but
> they do not have the same simplicity as, e.g., tab width or format of
> names.  If we follow them slavishly, we lose perspective on the code.  I
> don't think things like method length should even be warnings; rather
> info flags, to indicate that something needs to be looked at.

I think it is instructive that neither of you commented on whether the
changes that were made actually improved the code or not. I think you both
need to either 1) show that the code was better before I changed it, or 2)
realize that checkstyle did what it was supposed to do by flagging based on
an admittedly arbitrary limit. I will go one step further and suggest that
each of you find one 150+ line method in FOP's source code that would not
benefit from refactoring into smaller methods. The truth is that I too am
uncomfortable with a 150-line limit, and will argue against it if I ever
think it is a problem. The simple fact is that every 150+ line method I have
encountered so far needed to be broken up. There was nothing slavish about
it. Some of the ones in question will benefit from being broken up even
further. Some other day.

Victor Mote