Glen Mazza wrote:
Thank you both for the clarifications.

--- "Peter B. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The area tree describes laid-out areas to be rendered on some
medium, and

as

every area which describes a mark on a page must have a region
in its ancestry, we are obliged to consider individual FOs fragmented
into more than one area.

I see...so there is a parent-child relationship
between a region and area, meaning larger fo:blocks
will need to be broken up into multiple areas so those
areas can be applied to the regions on the following
pages.

That's it. In general, there is an active hierarchy of FOs at any page break. Recall that the contents of fo:block are defined as

(#PCDATA|%inline;|%block;)*

and that there are some interesting complications in the contents of "&inline;" which, frankly, I still don't understand in spite of clarifications from the editors. Pages can break in the most unfortunate places.