On the other hand a series of smaller adjustments to the property
handling has improved the total processing time about 10%.

[Peter B. West]
That's a better time improvement than I got with alt.design. The fact that I have extra overhead from the pull parsing may account for that.

Perhaps, but it doesn't make much sense comparing 'improvement' between the two designs. Not all of my speedup comes from using integers, some came from caching the default values from compound properties and from removing a lot of StringBuffer.append calls in the way the Makers are handling corresponding properties.

Neither of these two changes can apply to alt.design AFAICT, so the percent wise improvement that you found will naturally be smaller.

regards,
finn