Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
I think this should generate two spaces between "foo" and "bar".
One in 10pt, the other 15pt, or 2 spaces of 20pt?

Yeah, I deliberately avoided this part of the answer...

So, it would depend on the space-specifiers, which are in this case
unspecified (no borders, no padding, only background --hmm, should that have
an influence? the font-size would IMHO only have an effect in the bp
direction, depending on the alignment-baseline)
So defaults to 0pt (not being inherited by default)

The space constraints probably (hopefully )only applies to space specifiers on the FOs itself, i.e if I had written <fo:inline space-end="2pt">... Space characters ought to be another matter.

That's really a dilemma: you can get rid of most control
characters with FO markup, especially VT, LF and all that,
but there is no way to get rid of spaces. Because of
text-align="justify". Unless leader expansion is better
defined.

J.Pietschmann