<snip />

> The space constraints probably (hopefully )only applies to
> space specifiers on the FOs itself, i.e if I had written
>   <fo:inline space-end="2pt">...
> Space characters ought to be another matter.

> Try:
>   <fo:block background-color="red" font-size="20pt">
>     <fo:inline background-color="blue" font-size="10pt">foo
>     </fo:inline><fo:inline background-color="green"
>      font-size="15pt"> bar</fo:inline></fo:block>

Arghh! First hadn't even noticed the lf after foo...

Should it make a difference whether you write:

<fo:inline ...>sth</fo:inline>

or

<fo:inline ...>sth
</fo:inline>

or

<fo:inline ...>
sth
</fo:inline>

Doesn't that depend ... ? (I'm trying to see on what exactly)

Using the default values for the related properties (see Finn's OP), space
would *always* remain for the latter two cases. Now, don't know for sure
what's considered to be best practice, but maybe the only way to really
'solve' the original issue, would be at the FO level. Just advise everyone
to use LF rather in the markup itself (like in your example, the second
fo:inline).

So if, in the last case here above, one *really* needs to avoid trailing and
leading spaces, one could rearrange it like (most extreme case) :

<fo:inline ...
>sth</fo:inline>

or

<fo:inline ...
>someverylongphraserunningthroughtotheendofthepagewhichiseemtobeunabletoachi
eveatthemoment<
/fo:inline>

So, in short, no LF between > and the start of the content, nor between the
end of the content and <.

Perfectly admitted.

Cheers,

Andreas