I tried a little bit more, but was unsuccessful.  XMLFilter + setParameter()
unfortunately isn't currently available with JAXP, and I suspect the
just-use-a-transformer alternative proposed by Michael Kay here:
http://www.xslt.com/xsl-list/2002-08/msg00312.html will slow things down for
non-parameter using people.  (I'm also not sure if your suggestion would
work, as the getContentHandler() is set later, in apps.Driver.)

I modified the JAXP example to show the setting of a parameter, so FOP users
will be OK for embedded usage, at least.

Glen