"Peter B. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am 18.05.2004 11:57:38:

> I am awe-struck that you have achieved so much in that period.  How much

> of the Rec have you implemented?

Peter, it really helps if you have a strong background on PostScript, PDF
and fonts as well as text formatting. Also, I can be very efficient if I
can do it alone or if I can decide how it's done, but I don't have the
patience or talent for discussing technical concepts in writing. Why
write when you can code? Yes, I know, this is a personal deficiency, but
it seems like I'm stuck with it.

Also, we shall have to see how great everything is when it's done. I won't
judge right now. It feels right, but I will only be sure of it when it's
done.
Besides performance issues, I still find new things/aspects in the
recommendation that I didn't notice or understand so far. I have to
confess
that understanding the XSL-FO recommendation has been my greatest
intellectual
challenge in this project so far...

Some sketches of what my formatter does/is capable of now:

Architecture:
- can do single-pass or multi-pass processing or selective multi-pass
- uses push-processing with pull-processing in some places
- *designed* to handle all requirements of the rec.
- designed to be able to provide good error handling (worded this way,
because right now, it sucks, like in FOP...)

Rec aspects:
- basic formatting stuff works
- property handling works
- shorthand properties work
- expression parser works
- table formatting works but still sucks regarding border handling
- references, links fully work
- keeps and breaks work, but no resolution algorithm so far
- bookmark stuff from XSL 1.1 draft
- footnotes work
- No floats so far
- only rudimentary image support (only PNG so far)
- inline formatting is pretty rudimentary right now.
- no automatic hyphentation
- only default orientation and writing modes

Most of these aspects, though, have an attribute here and there that's
not yet implemented or not completely implemented. I have focused on
things
that I either need for our customers, or that I wanted to do early to
validate the design. So right now I can do most difficult things but not
many of the simple things. For example, I could do page-number-citations
before I could do more than 1 font. 8-)

To make all of this really, really work for users, a lot of testing and
tedious coding needs to be done. We will have to sort that out now.

By the way: the RenderX test suite documents are a very good starting
point
to find out how much of the spec a formatter can handle. They really do
nasty things (this is absolutely meant as a compliment).

Bye,

Arnd
--
Arnd Beißner