Chris Bowditch wrote:

> I'm just starting to look at your patch now. First thing that strikes
> me, and this was pointed out to me before I became a committer. Please
> try to avoid commenting out large chunks of code. If the code is no
> longer needed please delete it. If we need to go back to the old code,
> we can always get the previous versions from CVS.

Ok, sorry.

> Second thing, are you just ignoring word spacing and letter spacing at the
> moment? I think one of the other FOP Dev's hit the problem of "how do we
> tell if property was specified or is it just the default" before? Hopefully
> they will speak up with a work around. If we do go without the letter
> spacing property, then they really ought to stay as NotYetImplemented in the
> FOPropertyMapping and just put come comments into the code to explain why
> it cant be implemented ATM.

No, both properties are implemented (the letter spacing only partially).
When the word spacing is not .min == .max == 0 it is used to define the
inline progression dimension of a space; otherwise, a default value is used
instead.
Letter spacing is used too, but at the moment only its .opt value is used,
so letter spacing will be the same in every line of the paragraph. The
problem is that Knuth's algorithm doesn't explicitly take into account
letter space.

    Luca