> -----Original Message-----
> From: Glen Mazza [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Manpages are usually for C-language

Correct so far.

> Unix-specific applications, no?

Hmm... The manpages themselves obviously are Unix-specific, but I'm not so
sure whether the applications always are or necessarily have to be... That
is not 'carved in stone'.
In a way I agree though, that it would come down to the same thing as adding
a Windows-specific help file.

> I'm not sure of the future they
> have compared to website documentation, Docbook, etc.
>
> Unless Docbook can generate manpages, we would also
> have the problem of needing to maintain two sets of
> documentation (online and manpage) to say the same
> thing.

Docbook in itself? Maybe not, but running the same Docbook XML through a
different stylesheet outputting a text-file would in this case be an option.

> My thinking is that since Xalan, Xerces, Cocoon,
> Batik, etc., don't offer them, then we shouldn't
> either.

Yuck! I'm not too fond of this type of arguments: everybody/nobody else is
doing it, so why shouldn't/should we... This is no reason not to.

> Another issue is this is the first request
> I've heard for it in 20 months in being on the team.

This I definitely agree with, which is exactly why it caught my eye.

> All unix folk so far haven't minded using the website,
> and failing that, we have already pretty good CLI
> instructions.

True, but then again, most apps having a manpage also have a '--help' CL
switch...

Greetz,

Andreas