--- "J.Pietschmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried to compile Fop HEAD with JDK 1.3 (1.3.1_08)
> and got
> loads of errors like
>      [javac]

...\fop\src\java\org\apache\fop\fo\flow\Leader.java:112:
>    Constant expression required.
>      [javac]         case LeaderPattern.SPACE:
>      [javac]         ^
>
> Surprisingly, the very same workarea compiles fine
> after a clean
> and using Java 1.4.2_03.
>
> There is no file LeaderPattern.java in the source
> tree,

No--I think it is that Leader, by being a subclass of
FObj, implements the Constants interface, which has a
(class?) called LeaderPattern.  (I'm unsure why it
doesn't work in 1.3--that is strange.)

> BTW the buildfile could use some de-cruftification
> too (remove
> the gensrc/.../properties stuff and a few now
> meaningless subtitutions)

Ja, das ist eine gute Idee.  Bitte dekruften Sie der
Build-Datei.

Glen