Simon Pepping wrote:

> Marker extends FObjMixed, which adds InlineStackingLM. This is a
> problem. In the new model there should be a strict separation between
> LMs implementing InlineLevelLM and those that do not. InlineStackingLM
> does not, and probably should not do.

I still have to really understand InlineStackingLM, I find it very
enigmatic! It generates inline areas, but it has LineLM as a subclass ...

Maybe it should implement both getNextBreakPoss and getNextKnuthElements:
looking at the retrieve-marker's parent and / or at the marker's children
should be enough to decide whether to call the one or the other.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it is really necessary to add a new LM.

If the fo tree is

              fo:page-sequence
          -----------+-----------
          |                     |
  fo:static-content          fo:flow
          |                     |
         ...                   ...
          |                     |
 ret. marker's parent    marker's parent
          |                     |
  fo:retrieve-marker        fo:marker
                             ---+---
                             |     |
                           chld1  chld2

at the moment, RetrieveMarkerLM tries to achieve this (in the LM tree):

       parentLM

  RetrieveMarkerLM

  InlineStackingLM
       ---+---
       |     |
  chldLM1   chldLM2

but, as a marker can only have children which could replace its
retrieve-marker, wouldn't it be better to have just:

       parentLM
       ---+---
       |     |
  chldLM1   chldLM2