Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Given a block-container where the BPD is specified, are its
> children subject to column/page breaking if the whole
> block-container doesn't fit into the available area in BP
> direction? If yes, how is the remaining space in BP direction

My reading of the passage cited is that, while it may be possible for there
to be more than one immediate child viewport, each of the immediate child
viewports fits into exactly one rectangle on one page, i.e. it cannot be
broken into more than one piece. Now, if by "children" you are referring to
(for example) a block object that is inside the block-container, then yes,
that block could generated areas that are inside more than one of the
immediate child viewport(s). In other words, the contents of the
block-container could flow from one viewport area to another, but each
viewport area itself must remain in one piece.

So, the direct answer to your question is (I think) "no". If the BP
constraints cannot be satisfied in the current column/page, the viewport
must be moved to a subsequent one. That may seem klunky, but the user can
prevent it by making the BPD a <length-range>.

> direction? If yes, how is the remaining space in BP direction
> which is not taken up the BC's children to be handled?
>
> The quote you provided above probably point in the right
> direction. But I guess my problem is that I haven't found the
> part of the spec, yet, that establishes this constraint for
> block-progression-dimension. I've searched the spec back and
> forth and haven't found anything. After a lot of thinking I
> believe it's chapter 4.3.2 "Overconstrained
> space-specifiers", but I don't understand how this explains
> whether to do breaking inside the block-container or not.

AFAICT, space-specifiers aren't part of the question. In my mind
block-container is analogous to an external-graphic. You wouldn't split an
image into two pieces. If the user has said
block-progression-dimenension="6cm", he/she has deliberately placed a
constraint on the viewport. The default behavior is that there is no such
constraint, that the viewport expands and contracts as needed to contain the
contents.

The use-case for block-container may help also. Suppose you are rotating the
contents 90 degrees so that you can show, for example, a wide page in
landscape mode. You might want the contents to use the whole page, so
specifying the BPD/IPD allows you to insist upon that.

I'm not sure I am right about this, and don't mean to sound dogmatic. This
is just my understanding of the matter.

Victor Mote.