+1, providing you make fewer than 10 grammar mistakes:

--- Jeremias Maerki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As announced on the XML Graphics General mailing
> list I'd like to call
> for a vote on the migration of both Batik and FOP to
> Subversion.
>
> There are two main reasons for this move:
>
> - Over on the XML Graphics mailing list we are

1.) we have been discussing

> discussing and further
> clarifying a plan to create a common space for
> components used by both
> Batik and FOP subprojects. A migration to SVN prior
> to that would
> greatly simplify the process because we can simply
> move files across
> within the SVN repository. We would also maintain
> full history of the

2.) a full history

> files which would not be possible with CVS as there
> are separate
> repositories for each subproject.
>
> - The ASF Infrastructure team is increasing the
> pressure on ASF projects
> to migrate away from CVS over to SVN as it
> simplifies maintenance and in
> the long run they don't have to provide unix
> accounts for every
> committer, further decreasing the maintenance
> efforts.

3.) Run-on, OK in German but a no-no in English.

> It was hinted
> that CVS will be discontinued within the ASF at the
> end of 2005.

4.) FUD missile.  (Oh, that's not a grammar mistake,
so it doesn't count...)

> That's
> not a fixed date but it's only a question of time.
> Those who follow the
> infrastructure list will see that projects are
> migrating to SVN one
> after another.
> If you want to have a look how many
> projects already
> migrated go to [1]. We already have the XML Graphics
> website on SVN.
>
> Of course, this has some consequences I don't want
> to hide:
>
> - People have to get acquainted with a new tool.

4.) People will have

> Like for CVS there is a
> command line client which is the main client for
> SVN. There's already a
> wide range of graphical clients even though many of
> them are not yet as
> mature as the equivalents for CVS. On Windows, for
> example, there's an
> excellent client called TortoiseSVN [2] which plugs
> into the Windows
> Explorer. On Mac OSX there's SCPlugin [3] that plugs
> into Finder. On
> Eclipse 3 there's at least one advanced SVN plugin
> [4]. Note that the
> latter doesn't yet support all features that the CVS
> integration
> provides but it's in a usable state for day to day
> work. You always have
> the option to use the command-line client which is
> easy to learn and use.
> A more comprehensive list of SVN clients can be
> found at [5]. The
> documentation on SVN in genereal has very good
> quality [6].

5.) is of very good quality.

> - There have been stability problems until a few
> weeks ago. This was due
> to ViewCVS which in certain situations caused
> connections to the
> embedded Berkeley DB not to be closed (hanging
> processes). These
> situation resulted in locks not being released.

6.) These situations...

>  This
> is now resolved

7.) This has now been resolved

> (AFAIK) by ViewCVS accessing a read-only copy of the
> repository. But
> there also has been bugfixing to improve the
> situation.
>
> - Thomas DeWeese raised some concerns about the
> handling of binary files.
> In my experience, SVN automatically detects binary
> files very reliably
> and out-of-the-box. Additionally, you can configure
> the SVN client to
> automatically set the correct MIME type for newly
> added files with a
> certain extension.
>
> As a personal statement, I can tell that I'm now

8.) I've been now

> using Subversion myself
> for over a year and I've never regretted that
> choice. Last summer I
> migrated the company I worked for until the end of
> last year to
> Subversion and they are very happy with the results.
> It's not that I'm
> not working there anymore because of that. ;-)
>
> I understand that the Batik team is currently
> preparing for a release.
> If this vote passes, we will time the migration
> accordingly not to
> generate any trouble for this process, i.e. we would
> do the migration
> after the Batik release.
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
> [2] http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
> [3] http://scplugin.tigris.org/
> [4] http://subclipse.tigris.org/
> [5] http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html
> [6] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>
> I'm glad to answer any question you might have on

9.)  I'd be glad...

> the subject.
>
> (This vote goes to the batik-dev and fop-dev mailing
> lists. I'll collect
> the votes in 3 to 4 days and will present the
> results again to both
> lists.)
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Whew!  Good thing you stopped there...  My vote is +1.

Glen