Does anyone have any input on the issue of creating Knuth elements for
tables? We talked about handling headers and footers earlier and that
part is pretty clear to me. However, the part about creating Knuth
elements for multi-column tables... I'm pretty clueless ATM. I think
that my second approach could still work but it seems very complicated
to implement and I think there's got to be an easier solution which I
don't see ATM.

Even looking at other layouting systems I get the impression that they
are avoiding breaks inside table-cells. Lout for example doesn't allow
it. Does anyone know how (and if) this is done inside TeX? I don't get a
clue from looking at the TeXBook or the sources.