There were a number of these issues in the past. Yes, it's definitely
time to upgrade the Xerces and Xalan JARs, although it won't fix the
problems for those people who don't know how to replace the default
Xerces/Crimson and Xalan versions coming with the JDK. But that can't be
helped. As a rule, I always use the latest Xerces and Xalan versions on
my machine. I even have a customized Xalan ATM since the Xalan people
haven't fixed a bug which causes a problem with Barcode4J and FOP for
over a year now.