Luca,

yes, that is an option. What I am unsure about here is that the
children, typically text areas, do not take the line spacing into
account when reporting their bpd, that is the usually 10% space above
and below the character. So what is the correct bpd for an fo:inline
which has text area children: is it just the max bpd of its children or
is it max bpd plus any line spacing settings from its parent?

Manuel