IMO, Unicode conformant line-breaking is an important goal for FOP to achieve. But before I vote, I have a question:

On Oct 30, 2005, at 11:25 PM, Manuel Mall wrote:

<snip>

2. I would also like to propose that the Unicode conformant line
breaking be implemented using our own pair-table based implementation
and not using Java's line breaker, because:

Does it make sense to have using our own implementation over Java's 'configurable'? That way, our users could choose whether or not to use it. In my case, we had no need for Unicode, and IIC the extra code would merely serve to hinder FOP's performance & increase FOP's memory footprint (unless it's only called when using Unicode). In addition, a future Java implementation could bring a robust (and maintained) Unicode solution.

<snip>

3. Assuming we get enough +1 for the above proposals the first item to
decide after that would be: Where should the code live?
a) Joerg would like to see it in Jakarta Commons but hasn't got the time
to start the project.
b) Jeremias suggested XMLGraphics Commons.
c) Personally I think it is too early to factor it out. More experience
with its design and use cases should be gathered before making it
standalone and at this point in time it really only are 2 core Java
classes. I would like to suggest that it initially lives under FOP in
something like org.apache.fop.text. Should the need and energy levels
(= developer enthusiasm) become available later to make this into an
Jakarta Commons or XMLGraphics Commons project so be it.

I would think it would be best to start it under XML Graphics Commons (as that's where I suspect it will likely end up), and move it if necessary from there.

Regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
My religion is simple. My religion is kindness.
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Reply via email to