The time has come and we need to push FOP out to the public again, at
least IMO. I'm currently seeing through the last few things (patches,
docs, bugs etc.).

Are there any objections on doing the first release within the next few
days? Is there anything that needs to be done which is not on the
release plan [1] besides the sandbox proposal? Does anyone see any
outstanding legal issues preventing the release as is? Anything else?

I think I can live with the current API for now (after my imminent
changes as announced) although I would not see it as fixed for the first
production-ready release, yet. I will want a big disclaimer about the
API stability in the release notes.

Remember the first preview release doesn't need to be perfect. It should
do something reasonable and not crash with every second document. But
many people will only start playing with the new code when we release it.

Christian, are you available for managing the actual release (build plus
deployment)?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ReleasePlanFirstPR