Debugging shows:
The FOText instances under fo:marker (just before and after the fo:block)
don't get processed for whitespace treatment. Block.handleWhitespace
isn't accessible to it. That's why the whitespace isn't removed and
causes additional lines. The fix is probably to extract handleWhitespace
from Block into a separate class and call it from Block and Marker.

So, this is a bug, to be fixed after the release I guess.