Hi Dalibor

Good thing you're still lurking! :-)

On 21.11.2005 23:48:37 Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:29:18AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > as you know we've have several inquiries in the past about compiling FOP
> > with GNU Classpath for use in VMs such as Kaffe or natively on Unixes
> > (using GCC/GCJ) and about running Apache FOP under .NET. I've done some
> > experiments last week in this direction and here's what I found out:
> >
> > After removing Batik as a dependency for FOP allows FOP to run and
> > compile under IKVM [1]. So far, I've managed to run FOP from the
> > command-line as an EXE file on Windows to create PDF files. No fancy
> > tests, yet. I'll try to see what needs to be done to call FOP from a C#
> > application by compiling FOP and its dependency into DLLs.
>

> Yay! Congrats all over!

:-)

> > Batik has the problem that it relies on com.sun.* classes which has been
> > brought up on batik-dev. (Thomas, just so you know, I'm working on that
> > one. I'll drop a note on batik-dev about that shortly.) Given this
> > problem it's currently not possible to compile Batik for use in Kaffe or
> > IKVM (both use GNU Classpath). Furthermore, it seems that the AWT
> > implementation of IKVM is unfinished and results in runtime errors
> > (which have nothing to do with the com.sun.* classes) when forcing IKVM
> > to run a precompiled Batik JAR.
>
> Yup. I was under the impression that the XML graphics project would help
> work around the most dire problems, though. Right?

As much as we can, anyway. I'm working on that. I don't think I'll be
able to help improving IKVM. GNU Classpath might be easier to help with,
but then I still don't have a clue how to work with GNU Classpath on
Windows (Cygwin only coming with GCC 3.x, not 4.0). I haven't had the
time to help myself to a true Unix environment, yet. I've got access to
two Unix systems, both of which don't have GCC/GCJ installed and I have
limited knowledge on unixish systems to simply know how to install
additional software (if I'm allowed at all). And then I hate C/C++ and
having to apply patches before I can compile some software. :-) So this
means that it takes a lot of nerves to go after this.

> > Since we've also heard several voices who would like the
> > Batik-dependency to be optional for FOP (to reduce JAR size), I'd like
> > to propose making it so by extracting the SVG support from the main
> > codebase. Some of this will be done anyway, as we're going to move stuff
> > out to XML Graphics Commons. I'm not sure about the placement of the
> > sources, yet. There are several possibilities:
> > (1) Move optional FOP extensions (SVG and MathML) to
> > src/extensions/<name>/java (where <name> is "svg" or "mathml").
> > (2) Move optional FOP extensions to src/optional/java along with code
> > for JAI, JIMI and similar things.
>
> +1
>
> > (3) Move FOP extensions under src/java/org/apache/fop/extensions/<name>
> > where all the various sources will be concentrated. ATM, the SVG support
> > classes are scattered over the whole codebase which I don't like so much.
> >
> > I'm open for additional suggestions. Generally, I don't like having all
> > the code in one tree but in XML Graphics Commons this approach has won,
> > too.
> >
> > I think having the opportunity to provide a .NET version of FOP would
> > widen the number of potential users considerably especially since
> > to my knowledge there's no usable open source .NET FO implementation out
> > there. Depending on the license situation (IKVM is BSD but GNU Classpath
> > is LGPL) we could even think about distributing .NET binaries.
>
> GNU Classpath is more liberally licensed than LGPL, actually ;) It's the
> GPL with a big fat linking exception, that puts no restrictions on the license
> of the linking code.

Oops, sorry, looks like I had the wrong idea in mind. There was so much
talk within the ASF about LGPL that I assumed Harmony's problem was with
the LGPL.