Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Hi Jeremias,

Hi Patrick,

yes, I've seen that something's going on in that corner. After my
experience last year, I was a bit hesitant to take another stab, but
since we've already worked together, I'd be fine mentoring a little
project. There are a lot of things that could be approached:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPProjectTasks

That Wiki is quite old now and a lot has changed since it was written.

The thing that would make the most people happy would be implementing
auto table layout. That's something that is not on any of my clients'
wishlists so it goes on my private task list on which I have other
higher priority items. :-o You'd be the hero implementing that!

table-layout="auto" is a often requested feature and as Jeremias said I'm sure a lot of folks would be grateful for it. My only concern is the amount of work involved, it might be too big a chunk of work for Google's summer of code project.

Another broken table feature that often causes confusion is the border-collapse algorithm. I know Jeremias had some ideas about how to implement most of it and just leave out the hardest bits.

<snip/>

Chris