I don't see why you couldn't also apply for a slot. Having floats would
be cool (but not simple). I'm not sure about your work on FOrayFont. I
think the projects have to be tied to one of the organizations listed by
Google. Only the client part in FOP would be part of that. So floats
would be the better option I guess.

I'm sure I can count on other FOP committers to help me with the
mentoring job if we take on two projects.

BTW, both of you should make sure you're eligible for participating in
the SoC. See the Students FAQ on the Google SoC site. Someone who
applied last year wasn't a student.