Jeremias Maerki wrote:

On 09.05.2006 13:35:11 Chris Bowditch wrote:

<snip/>

I'm sorry Jeremias, your arguments here have failed to convince me that your suggested approach is the best way. I'm still in favour of using extension elements for PS, PCL and AFP. It should be possible to add the extension elements into the Intermediate Format XML, as the printer to be used may not be known until later in the processing (as you already suggested and that bit I agree with)

Ok. Maybe this gives a new light into the whole topic: renderer
configuration vs. extension in XSL-FO. Namely, because you highlight the
third possibility that the extension elements may be injected in the
intermediate format rather than the XSL-FO.

:) This is how our system works today. The IF XML to PS step is left until the last possible moment when the Printer is known. Just prior to conversion, printer specific commands can be inserted into the IF XML.

If the master name to media name mapping is placed in the configuration file then there is no means to override it for a single document.

Right.

After all there is only 1 configuration file, and it cannot be changed at runtime.

Nope. You can can do custom configuration for a single renderer instance
if you like. No problem.

True, but far less convenient than specifying an extension element.

Allowing extension elements in the IF XML is the most flexible way. Then you don't need to know the printer when working in XSLT and FO, but when the IF XML is processed the destination printer should be known. (It is in our system anyway :)

Ok, that's a way to approach it I did not think about. In the systems I
built, the renderer configuration would always have been sufficient.

As you've already mentioned in PS there is more than one way of specifying tray selection. So assuming one particular way (/MediaType) would be rather limiting in my opinion and not desirable. Perhaps you didn't mean that, but that is my understanding of what you said.

You got me wrong. The /MediaType way is actually the most flexible and
most standard way for high volume printers. The printer operator can
adjust the tray setup and select the target printer as he likes right
before printing.

Yes I agree that /MediaType is the most widely used way, but we have customers out there using /MediaPosition too. The bit I don't understand in your proposal is how the configuration file will specify exactly which will be used. I thought you were saying it would be hard coded to /MediaType, and only the media name would be fetched from the configuration.

I also think this is a little bit Out of Scope for FOP. FOP should provide some means to achieve tray selection via the Extension element mechanism, but providing master name to media name mapping in the configuration along with making assumptions about the Postscript and PCL to be inserted into the output is going a step too far I think.

Sorry Chris, but the additional logic needed for that is trivial. I
don't see why this alone would make it out of scope.

Maybe, but parsing PPD files is definitely Out of Scope for XSL-FO and FOP IMHO. Of course, that alone is not a reason not to do it.

Just an idea: How about we generalize the whole thing and allow to
specify the renderer configuration as an extension element in FO and IF
(intermediate format). The renderer is configured using Avalon
Configuration normally through the RendererFactory. If after starting
the renderer an extension element is received with some additional renderer
configuration you can simply overload the existing configuration. Should
not be hard to achieve.

That's better, but still not as good as extension elements, because the user has 2 steps to achieve tray selection instead of one. Isn't the objective behind your proposal to make life easier for the user?

Thanks for clarification,

Chris