I don't think anyone is actively working on this.

I'd not take the current CTMs too seriously. I think they are only there
to indicate the possibility of supporting different writing mode at some
point. If you change the CTM stuff some of the test cases demonstrating
the writing mode capabilities will probably fail. But since they are
probably not really testing the right stuff, that shouldn't be a problem.

We've had a number of discussion already about implementing different
writing modes, BIDI, UAX#14 and whatever terms are involved. I don't
know how much research you've done on the mailing list archives already.
But I think it would be good if you took a look at those discussions. At
any rate, I think we'd be curious about the approach you've taken. Maybe
you could tell us a little more. Anyway, I'm quite happy to hear someone
wants to jump in here.