Hi all,

I'm having a lot of fun playing with border and padding
conditionalities... What do you think of the attached fo file (resulting
pdf also attached)?

I think the padding should actually not be discarded on the second page.
It would if the corresponding edge were a leading edge in the
region-body's reference area. However, it is not because there is no
stacking constraint between the inner block's area and the (region
body's) ref-area. Because the retained border on that inner block
creates a fence which prevents rule 3.b (XSL 1.1, 4.2.5) to apply.

The funny thing is that if there were no outer block, then there /would/
be a stacking constraint (rule 1 this time), and we would end up with an
area with border-before but no padding-before. I can expect many
headaches from users about that...

WDYT?
Vincent
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page"
      page-height="4cm" page-width="15cm"
      margin-top="0cm" margin-bottom="0cm" margin-left="3cm" margin-right="3cm">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="page"
    font-family="serif" font-size="14pt">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block
        orphans="1" widows="1"
        border-before-width.length="6pt"
        border-before-width.conditionality="retain"
        border-before-style="solid"
        border-before-color="black">Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text.
        <fo:block
          orphans="1" widows="1"
          border-before-width.length="5pt"
          border-before-width.conditionality="retain"
          border-before-style="solid"
          border-before-color="olive"
          padding-before.length="8pt"
          padding-before.conditionality="discard">Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some
          text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some text. Some
          text. Some text.
        </fo:block>
      </fo:block>
    </fo:flow>