Hi Andreas,

Andreas L Delmelle a écrit :
> On Mar 27, 2007, at 10:47, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>
>> Andreas L Delmelle a écrit :

> <snip />
>>>
>>> Just a sanity check: aren't you confusing padding-* with space-* here?
>>
>> No :-)
>
> OK, just thought I'd make sure. ;-P

No problem!

>>> Comparing FO to PDF, my common sense jumps up and says:
>>> "Why do you expect the padding to be retained at page-breaks, when
>>> specifying .conditionality='discard'?"
>>
>> Precisely because of this notion of "fence".
>
> OK ... and does the notion of a 'fence' also apply to padding?

If the padding is conditional, yes. There is a fence preceding an area
(here the area generated by the outer-block) as soon as it has a
non-null border-before or padding-before (XSL-FO 1.1, 4.2.5).

And in 4.3.1: if the border-before or padding-before is conditional,
then it is set to 0 if the before-edge of the allocation-rectangle is a
leading edge in a reference-area... which is not the case here for the
inner block.

> If this would be so, then similarly, one could argue that even if the
> inner block's border-before has a conditionality of "discard", you'd
> still expect it to be retained, because there is the 'fence' of the
> outer block's border?

Exactly, yes.