Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

On Jul 19, 2007, at 16:37, Chris Bowditch wrote:

Hi Chris

I have been doing a little bit of testing with the current Trunk code and observed that I can generate an OutOfMemoryError simply by submitting the same 2 page document to FOP to render to Postscript over and over again. After just 2,900 renderings FOP dies with OutOfMemoryError. I think it is safe to assume that the memory leak exists in the current 0.94 branch also. I am keen to avoid releasing FOP whilst the code contains such a problem.

If anyone is interested I can send you the FO file and test harness code I use to repeatidly generate PS off list.

If there is anything special about that file, you could always post it, but I'll try to see if I can reproduce with a simple FO without special features. If I don't succeed, I might ask you to post your code as well.

The FO file has some SVG embedded in fo:instream-foreign-object.

Did you, by any chance, noticed a similar effect with other formats (which would indicate the leak is localized in the fotree or layout- code)?

Yes, in one of the tests I was generating Area Tree XML with mimic Renderer set to the AFP Renderer and observed OOME. So I don't think the output format is relevant here.

One of my colleagues is going to profile FOP. I will keep you all informed of any findings.

Thanks,

Chris