On 20.07.2007 12:51:33 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > On 20.07.2007 11:52:15 Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>
> <snip/>

> >>That was the most likely cause. The equals() method returning false
> >>because of this, would keep on creating separate instances.
> >>How they would be leaked into a subsequent run is not quite clear to
> >>me, though...
> >

> > Because of the bug in PropertyCache. The two bugs just add to each other.
>
> Thanks for spotting this bug in FixedLength.equals(). I rebuilt fop.jar
> and started a fresh profiling session. After 5000 renderings with only
> 16Mb the heap is staying around 3Mb. The number of FixedLength and
> WeakHashMap$entry object is staying fixed at around 300. Hip Hip Hooray!!!

But you're running the same document over and over again, right? In that
case, the WeakHashMap doesn't grow because the cached instances are
always reused. That doesn't address the fact that the instances are
still not releasable. The memory leak is still there. That's why it's so
extremely important to be so damn careful about using static variables.