On Jul 20, 2007, at 17:15, Mark C. Allman wrote:

Hi Mark

Perhaps I'm being a bit dim, but ...

Why store the Property as a key and a value both? Just store "" as the value. You can still get a list of all the cached Property objects by calling keySet(). The entries in the Set returned may be WeakReference objects, but that's easily dealt with.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting idea, but... the point of storing the Property in key and value, is being able to do for example:

StringProperty cachedInstance = (StringProperty) Map.get(new StringProperty(...));

I don't immediately see a convenient solution for that using keySet ()... not at first glance, at least. :/

Note:
As indicated earlier in another thread, the cost of construction of the related Property subtypes is low enough so as not to cause a significant overhead. If this were not the case, then an entirely different strategy would have to be used that avoids the cost of creation altogether. If the Property is already cached, the 'new' instance in the call above doesn't have to leave the stack. Its lifetime is limited to the execution of get(). We would instead get a reference to a cachedInstance that was already moved to the heap earlier on.

Clever in concept, but still needs some work, I guess.

Cheers