Ok, I’ve had enough. I’ve spent almost the whole day trying to build
a FOP distribution with Java 1.3. First trying to solve that problem of
Xalan not found. Then fighting to get JCE working, to finally still have
the corresponding testcase fail [1]. Then having cryptic
NoSuchMethodErrors here and there [2].

Creating an Eclipse project and setting up a 1.3 jdk allowed me to
compile and run the files from [2] with no problem. Compiling from the
commandline failed. Running build.xml from the Eclipse project failed
(same error as [2]). Setting the javac.source and javac.target to 1.3 in
build.properties doesn’t change anything.

I’m not gonna spend my week-end on figuring out how to get a 1.3 build.
That’s no fun and I have plenty of other more worthy things to do on
FOP. I don’t need 1.3 compatibility, I’ve not even used Java 1.3 ever in
my life, so I really don’t care about it.

If someone else wants to take care of the 1.3 build, I’m happy to leave
him holding the baby, the branch is ready to be tagged. Otherwise users
who need it will have to build FOP themselves from the source.

Vincent

[1]
junit-basic:
     [echo] Running basic functionality tests for fop.jar
    [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.fop.StandardTestSuite
    [junit] Tests run: 29, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 2,163 sec
    [junit]
    [junit] Testcase:
testPDFEncodingWithStandardFont(org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFEncodingTestCase):
      FAILED
    [junit] 3 PDFE_TEST_MARK_ markers must be found expected:<3> but was:<0>
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: 3 PDFE_TEST_MARK_
markers must be found expected:<3> but was:<0>
    [junit]     at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFEncodingTestCase.checkEncoding(PDFEncodingTestCase.java:140)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFEncodingTestCase.runTest(PDFEncodingTestCase.java:104)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFEncodingTestCase.testPDFEncodingWithStandardFont(PDFEncodingTestCase.java:73)
    [junit]
    [junit]
    [junit] Test org.apache.fop.StandardTestSuite FAILED

[2] Run ant junit-layout-standard
Or try the column-number_non-integer.fo file in test/fotree/testcases