<snip />
>FWIW, I do re-assign local variables sometimes (rarely). When the new
>value serves the same purpose, and creating a new variable with another
>name would actually look more confusing. Do I have to slash my hand for
>that?

I wouldn't go /that/ far. With only one hand you wouldn't be able to code
anymore... and that would be quite a loss for the FOP-community. ;-)

No really, the fact that you do it /rarely/ says enough. As I hinted, IMO it
should actually be the other way around, i.e. reserve a keyword to mark a
parameter as an 'out' parameter that is supposed to be modified/assigned by the
method.

It's only reassignment that is prevented, and declaring the parameter final
still does not prevent you from modifying the parameter itself. As long as it
remains the same instance, you will get no compiler warning. It can still come
out of the method as a 'different' object. Luckily, or we would not be able to
append to StringBuffer-parameters or add to List-parameters.

Cheers