Ok I ran the build under three versions of ant:

Apache Ant version 1.6.5 compiled on June 2 2005
Apache Ant version 1.7.0 compiled on December 13 2006
Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on June 27 2008

All failed.

To rule out ant, I downloaded FOP 0.94 src and ran a successfully build.
This would leave me to believe that the problem lies in the trunk version.

Bones.