I got lucky!!!!!! I didn't really work on this just now but I activated
one of my other FOP working copy and had the error Phil reported:

C:\Dev\FOP\main\xml-fop-temp\build.xml:353: java.io.IOException:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:\C:\Dev\FOP\main\xml-fop-temp\build\gensrc\org\apache\fop\events\event-model.xml
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

I added some test code in EventModel and look what I got:
resourcegen:
[eventResourceGenerator]
file:/C:/Dev/FOP/main/xml-fop-temp/build/gensrc/org/apache/fop/events/event-model.xml
[eventResourceGenerator]
file:/C:/Dev/FOP/main/xml-fop-temp/build/gensrc/org/apache/fop/events/event-model.xml
[eventResourceGenerator]
file:/C:/Dev/FOP/main/xml-fop-temp/build/gensrc/org/apache/fop/events/event-model.xml
[eventResourceGenerator] Apache Xalan: Xalan Java 2.4.1
[eventResourceGenerator] org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl

So my code is actually passing in the right file URL but Xalan messes it
up internally somewhere. Please note that I reproduced this with Sun
Java 1.4.2_16, not 6.0.something. Once I put the XML libraries from
FOP's lib directory in the JDK's jre/lib/endorsed directory, Xalan
showed version 2.7.0 and the build ran through.

I wonder why I didn't run into this sooner. I always build FOP with FOP
1.4.2_16 with no endorsed directory. Weird stuff. And I'm absolutely
clueless why this bug was triggered in Phil's environment as he uses
Java 6 which uses a newer Xalan.

Anyway, I've just committed a work-around that avoids passing the XSLT
processor the target file URL and instead works with OutputStreams I
manage myself.

Phil, please do another "svn up" and retry.

I hope this is it this time.