On Jul 16, 2008, at 22:21, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I got lucky!!!!!! I didn't really work on this just now but I activated
one of my other FOP working copy and had the error Phil reported:

<snip />
I wonder why I didn't run into this sooner. I always build FOP with FOP
1.4.2_16 with no endorsed directory. Weird stuff. And I'm absolutely
clueless why this bug was triggered in Phil's environment as he uses
Java 6 which uses a newer Xalan.

Since the error is restricted to Windows, let's blame Microsoft. ;-P

(I guess there's even a possibility that Xalan does not actually do anything wrong, but also calls File.toURL() somewhere, and the JVM's native implementation makes use of some Windows API function, which is responsible for the invalid URL...)

Anyway, I've just committed a work-around that avoids passing the XSLT
processor the target file URL and instead works with OutputStreams I
manage myself.

Yay!! Was I missing the obvious? Indeed, why even convert the File to a URL, if StreamSource() accepts, well, an InputStream, which bypasses this strangeness altogether...

:-)

Cheers