Tough stuff for XSL-FO, catalogs.

I see multiple problems:

Getting Block D at the bottom of the article. display-align="after" on
the table-cell can help to a certain degree. Better: Setting
block-progression-dimension.maximum="1.2em" on that cell should restrict
that last row to one line, thus automatically placing it at the end of
the table. However, FOP doesn't listen to that in this case, it appears.

Elongating borders down to the bottom of the available space is not
possible at the moment. The whole min/opt/max functionality is quite
restricted inside tables at the moment. You can specify
block-progression-dimension.optimum="20cm" on the last table-row but
unfortunately, our layout algorithm will then move the last row to the

Thinking about a possible extension for repeating the cell content, I
can't help but think that would not be the most flexible approach. Maybe
an extension definining some content for empty cell areas (I don't mean
empty table-cells here) would be better. Maybe someone doesn't want to
repeat the content but actually add something different. I guess
something like that would actually be implementable though it's not
going to be easy.

On the other hand, the example you posted also smells a bit like
side-floats, although that would not address the repetition of the image
C.

Also, how such a thing would interact with what Vincent is working on is
another story.

Anyway, you've chosen a very tough problem. I'd try negotiating a
relaxation of the requirements. ;-) Or maybe someone else has another
idea here.