Hi Jeremias,

> Tough stuff for XSL-FO, catalogs.
> I see multiple problems:

Seeing the problems ain't my problem either. Seeing the solutions is tricky, :-)

> Getting Block D at the bottom of the article. display-align="after" on the
> table-cell can help to a certain degree. Better: Setting block-progression
>-dimension.maximum="1.2em" on that cell should restrict that last row to one
> line, thus automatically placing it at the end of the table. However, FOP
> doesn't listen to that in this case, it appears.

Been there. I'm hoping the problem will disappear, when the drawings are on the
second page.

> Elongating borders down to the bottom of the available space is not possible
> at the moment. The whole min/opt/max functionality is quite restricted inside
> tables at the moment. You can specify
> block-progression-dimension.optimum="20cm"
> on the last table-row but unfortunately, our layout algorithm will then move
> the
> last row to the next page leaving the previous page underfilled.

Been there too. This might be a requirement I can discuss away.

> Thinking about a possible extension for repeating the cell content, I can't
> help but think that would not be the most flexible approach. Maybe an
> extension
> definining some content for empty cell areas (I don't mean empty table-cells
> here)
> would be better. Maybe someone doesn't want to repeat the content but
> actually add
> something different. I guess something like that would actually be
> implementable
> though it's not going to be easy.

I liked the part "I guess something like that would actually be implementable",
but I did not quite understand the "empty cell areas" part.

> Also, how such a thing would interact with what Vincent is working on is
> another story.

Hm, maybe Vincent will read this too and comment. I have no idea what he is
working on.

> Anyway, you've chosen a very tough problem.

Tough problems choose me, hardly the other way round.

> I'd try negotiating a relaxation of the requirements.

Well, the requirement is: If there's table content on a page, the associated
drawings have to be there too. I guess, putting the drawings in markers at the
end of the page-sequence, referencing them through the id of the DesignTable
(the whole table-text-images-mess) and then pulling them in once on each page
if necessary will not work?

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

[...]

On the other hand, the example you posted also smells a bit like side-floats,
although that would not address the repetition of the image C.

Also, how such a thing would interact with what Vincent is working on is
another story.

Anyway, you've chosen a very tough problem. I'd try negotiating a relaxation of
the requirements. ;-) Or maybe someone else has another idea here.