On 19 Jun 2009, at 15:46, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

<snip />
Until page breaking has been done you don’t know where the paragraph
will be broken. So you don’t know how far in the element generation you
must go.

Not true. Until page breaking has been done, we don't know /exactly/ where the paragraph will be broken, but that is not necessary. At the point where I would see the intervention, all the line-breaks for the paragraph have been computed, and the elements simply represent the line-boxes (+ possibly, spaces in between). If we calculate the total content-height for those line-boxes, include a pessimistic estimate for the line-spacing, and compare that to the available height, we know that there will very, very likely have to be a break. More is not really necessary.

Regards