Thanks Georg, the "Index and Pagenumbers" discussion is of great interest.

To sum up:
- By design, FOP doesn't re-layout after page number citations (as shown by
Andreas D.). So a FOP extension won't solve my case if I want nicely-formatted
index entries.
- Complete support of `XSL 1.1` indexes means supporting growing and shrinking
entries. When not at the very end of the page sequence, this implies multi-pass
layout.
- By design, FOP doesn't support multi-pass layout.
- But FOP allows post-processing through Area Tree Format or Intermediate
Format.

In real world use cases, it's acceptable to support index entries only at the
end of the numbering sequence or in another numbering sequence, so let's do
post-processing. There are plenty of issues to solve but they are mostly
related to `I/Os` and XSL and Novelang design so I won't discuss them in this
list.

One question left, however. I wonder how to hint FO document for generating
Area Tree or Intermediate Format that I could reparse easily, for locating
pages containing index entries, and extracting index keys and lists of page
numbers.

Thanks all,

c.