On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 07:15:17PM +0000, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> On 22/02/11 07:24, Simon Pepping wrote:
> > Not all FOP developers are willing to use findbugs. I hid the findbugs
> > errors as a courtesy to those FOP developers who do use findbugs, so
> > they can check their own code based on a clean slate.
>
> I agree that ignoring all the existing issues at the time FindBugs was
> set up was necessary, but now that FindBugs is in place I don’t think we
> want to blindly ignore its output any more. Again, some of the issues
> raised after the recent commits seem valid and ought to be fixed.
>
> Can we revert commit 1071912 and re-consider the issues one-by-one
> before ignoring them?

Yes, you can.

My position is as follows: I do merging of trunk into complexscripts
as a service to the Complex Scripts project. I see existing findbugs
errors and warnings. I do not have time nor interest to fix those. So
I hide them so that others can run findbugs on their code from a clean
slate. I add a new, appropriately labeled section to the findbugs
exclusion file so that you and others can do as you suggest.

I will do this again and again, no matter how many emails are written
about the subject. And I would prefer it if no emails about it were
written. They bother me and they discourage me to continue doing any
services for FOP. It is much more encouraging to see that some of us
pick up the findbugs error report and use it to make code
improvements.

Simon