Hi Michael

Creating a new EventBroadcaster is obviously wrong. The idea is that the
user can get events for each FOP rendering run separately (unlike
logging where concurrent runs get mixed up). So you have to get hold of
that EventBroadcaster applicable to the current rendering run. Obviously,
you don't have access to the FOUserAgent in the PDF library. That is
intentional because the PDF library should remain reasonably independent
of as much FOP code as possible for the case that we ever factor it out
into a separate component/module or move it to XML Graphics Commons.

My suggestion is to follow a similar path as done in
org.apache.fop.fonts: Create an interface for the events coming out of
the PDF library (see FontEventListener). Let's call it PDFEventListener
or something like that and put it in the org.apache.fop.pdf package.
Then move your PDFEventProducer (corresponds to FontEventProducer) into
org.apache.fop.render.pdf as this package makes the glue between FOP and
PDF output. Then create a PDFLibraryEventAdapter (implements PDFEventListener)
in the org.apache.fop.render.pdf package (corresponds to
FontEventAdapter). The PDFLibraryEventAdapter will get the
EventBroadcaster from the PDFDocumentHandler which is responsible for
instantiating the PDFDocument and PDFLibraryEventAdapter. The adapter is
then added as listener to a List<PDFEventListener> that you can add to
PDFDocument. From PDFEncryptionJCE you should have access to the
PDFDocument via the getDocumentSafely() method. That nicely decouples
FOP's event subsystem from the PDF library.

HTH