On 13.05.2011 17:06:56 Michael Rubin wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I have now added the getter and setter to
> PDFDocument as shown below and added 'this.pdfDoc.setEventListener(new
> PDFLibraryEventAdapter(getUserAgent().getEventBroadcaster());' to
> PDFDocumentHandler.startDocument() (last line inside the try block). Now
> I can get the listener from the PDFEncryptionJCE class. However what do
> I do with it?

You call your PDFEventListener.warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored() method.

> And how does this relate to the producer class and the
> EventBroadcaster that I am trying to get hold of?

It doesn't. That's part of the decoupling. The PDFEncryptionJCE should
know nothing of the EventProducer or EventBroadcaster.

Maybe the attached UML helps a bit (I don't usually do UML so I'm not
sure I've made any mistakes).

> In your first reply you said to create the Listener and Producer
> interfaces. Based on the FontEvent* classes, both of these had an event
> definition for their events. But in the latest reply you are saying not
> to put my event in the new PDFEventListener? That would make it an empty
> interface then if I understand right. So what would its purpose be? I
> can't seem to do anything with it.

Sorry for the confusion here. I didn't remember that there was already
an EventProducer in org.apache.fop.render.pdf. So adding a new
EventProducer doesn't make much sense. Instead your
warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored() should be added to the existing one.
No new EventProducer is necessary (and I didn't notice that at first).

> Following discussion with a colleague (Vincent) I left the listener
> method in (but without the source) and made the call to that to kick off
> the event. However now I get an InvocationTargetException when I try to
> get the PDF Doc in order to invoke the listener event method. Looking at
> the stack trace it happens when I call the
> PDFDocument.getDocumentSafely() method. It seems when debugging to be
> PDFEncryptionManager.newInstance() where the error is occurring, the 3rd
> line calling makeMethod.invoke(...). (I attempted to run the build ant
> script and then refresh eclipse but this didn't make any difference.)

I can't help much with that InvocationTargetException. Maybe if you
posted a patch so I could reproduce it....

> I will continue with this on Monday. Any further pointers in the
> meantime very much appreciated.
>
> There are two questions that come from my colleague:
>
> 1. What is the source object for? And do we need it referenced in the
> Listener? Or just the producer?

My original idea was that this object gives the event handler a chance
to intercept and modify the object that is the event origin. In most
cases, it will certainly be ignored but someone might find it handy. And
to have it in the producer means you also have to have it in the
PDFEventListener. See also java.util.EventObject from which
org.apache.fop.events.Event is derived.

> 2. Why should we get the PDFDocument object from the Encryption class?

It's a PDFObject, right? So it should already have the PDFDocument. That
makes access to the PDFEventListener easy.

> Should the listener not be passed into the Encryption class via its
> constructor rather than having to go fetch the listener?

Both are valid ways but since I expect the PDFDocument to already be set,
I see no point in giving more information that can otherwise be easily
accessed. Well, it could be that your event happens before the
PDFDocument is set on that object (see PDFDocument.setEncryption()). In
that case PDFEncryptionManager might have to be changed to pass in the
PDFDocument immediately. Or you pass in the PDFEventListener, although I
find the former more useful and flexible.